Routines & Procedures

Below are some classroom routines and procedures I plan on implementing in my future classroom.

Entering the classroom: When children enter the classroom they will form a line in front of the smart board for attendance, then bring their bags to their desk and take out their folders for the day. They will then go over to their cubicle or lockers to put backpacks and outdoor clothing away. If they have time left over they will take books from the library to silently read until they are called to the circle or class begins.

Attendance: When children enter the classroom I will have an attendance chart on the smart board. Students will form a line as they enter and click their name on the attendance chart, and then head to their desk. Example of an attendance chart is shown below.

Absences: In order for an absence to be excused and make up work to be given I will expect an excused pass from the office. For younger students I will have their work ready for them to be sent home. For older students I would expect them to approach me for their makeup work, and talk to peers for notes.

Office, nurse, etc: When sending students out of the room for the office, nurse, or to see another teacher I will expect students to come see me for a written pass giving permission for them to leave. The pass will have the time and date with both mine and the students name. I will have the expectation for them to get the pass signed by who they visit and brought back upon return.

Bathroom use: For bathroom use I will have students use the classroom hand signals we have established. I believe this is an efficient way to send students to the bathroom, because during a lecture, video, classroom discussion, etc they can raise their hand and wait for a head nod yes or no from me. This helps from interrupting the entire class.

Water fountain use: Same as above. Below is an example chart of classroom hand signals.

Hallway Transitions: For a younger classroom I would have a hallway poem posted in front of the door to sing/recite with the children before transitions to remind them of the hallways expectations we have already gone over. An example is shown below.For older grades I would go over expectations at the beginning of the year and expect them to be responsible for these.

Classroom jobs: In order to help build a positive classroom community and teach children responsibility, I will rotate classroom jobs each week using a chart. I would use a chart similar to the one shown below, and explain the role of each job at the beginning of the year and why we need each job to build our community.

What to do when independent class work is finished early: When work is finished early children will have the opportunity of grabbing a book from the classroom library to silently read until further instruction is given.

Substitute Plans: I will have prepared a substitute plan packet at the beginning of the year in case of any unexpected absences from me. I will make sure to include important procedures, school policies, and specific notes along with classroom instruction plans.